Uganda Railways contracted Kato Contractors Limited to carry out rehabilitation works for the warehouses and associated buildings at Port Bell Pier at a total cost of UGX. 1.1 bn. The scope of works included:
- Paving the driveway;
- Extension of the hardstand;
- Fencing all-round the premises (800 inner metres);
- Fabrication works, e.g. gates and doors;
- Construction of a 5-stance toilet;
- Construction of two (2) Askari houses;
- Renovation of URA offices.
The works were completed in May 2019 and the contractor has been paid all the money. One of the major modifications made was the removal of offices from the warehouse, thereby creating more storage space. The offices were relocated to the customs building.